Monday, August 5

Strawberry Lavender Cake

Strawberry Lavender Cake| www.blahnikbaker.com

Happy Monday!

It's my birthday today and I made myself a birthday cake! A Strawberry Lavender Cake to be precise.

Apparently you are not supposed to make yourself a birthday cake but I wanted to and there was no stopping me. Who makes these rules anyway? Here was an opportunity to make myself whatever I want without worrying whether people will like it because it's my cake. Like this strawberry lavender cake; a great flavor combination.

Strawberry Lavender Cake| www.blahnikbaker.com

This cake is straight up from my cake crush; Sweetapolita and I've had it at the back of my mind for months. Honestly, all her cakes are on my to-bake list. Like this chocolate marshmallow cake. But I digress. This strawberry lavender cake starts with a wonderfully moist vanilla buttermilk cake that is filled with a whipped vanilla mascarpone filling & strawberry and lavender compote and then topped with whipped lavender frosting. It's a mouthful, I know but it's just as amazing as it sounds!! Let me break it down for you.

First, there is a light, airy yet very moist cake. Rosie (Sweetapolita) uses an interesting mixing technique in making this cake. She adds cold butter to the dry ingredients and mixes to create a cornmeal consistency before mixing in the wet ingredients and this makes a light and fluffier buttermilk cake. The cake is filled with vanilla whipped cream, which is a perfect match for strawberries. I added mascarpone cheese to this for more richness and a little tartness. In addition to the whipped cream, the cake is also filled with a fresh strawberry, lemon and lavender compote that is sweet and full of summer flavors. Finally, a perfectly sweet whipped vanilla lavender frosting tops it all. Lavender is a beautiful flavor and if you haven't tried it yet, I suggest you do soon. It's my first time baking with it and I don't know why it took me this long.

Strawberry Lavender Cake| www.blahnikbaker.com

I am not a big fan of birthdays to be honest. I hate being the center of attention and despite my love of presents, I don't throw birthday parties! My wedding took lots and lots of effort to walk out and be stared down...yikes! Anyway, I let my husband host two dinner parties for me this weekend and I resisted the urge to be involved in any of the planning except making this cake and some cupcakes I'll share later. Thanks to the great presents, I survived both parties! Oh I got a camera fund started by my friends. I am almost ready to shop for a DSLR!! I can't wait.

Strawberry Lavender Cake| www.blahnikbaker.com

Recipe: From Sweetapolita
- The only change I made was adding mascarpone cheese (1/3 cup) to the vanilla whipped cream filling at the end.

Here is a look at the aftermath of this beauty.

53 comments :

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Beautiful job on the frosting, so smooth!
    Love that cake stand!
    Totally know what you mean about birthdays, love 'em and hate 'em!
    I once baked with lavender...it was good...I need to find that jar of lavender, now that I think about it I have no idea where it is! oops!
    xx M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly!! Birthdays stress me out..love celebrating others but not mine lol! And man, I love lavender now!! Find your jar and use it soon :)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, Zainab! And your cake looks like sheer perfection. I can't wait to hear more about your DSLR adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I'd love any suggestions on cameras if you have any.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! What a BEAUTIFUL cake. I love the favor combinations you have going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Zainab, and what a beautiful cake! You've done a bakery style decorating job here -- just gorgeous. The way you describe that cake, I'd love a great big slice! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcie thank you so much! It's a great cake too. Loved how it turned out.

      Delete
  5. HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS ZAINAB!!

    I'm totally with you on not being a big fan of birthdays... at least not mine! I love to celebrate everyone else's but I pretend mine doesn't exist...

    And I say you can make your own birthday cake. Boo to anyone that says differently!! You did a beautiful job on this cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily!! I know...can we just celebrate others? Lol!!

      Delete
  6. First of all, Happy Birthday!! :) This cake is so beautiful! You are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake is gorgeous! I can never get my buttercream that smooth. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meghan. I'm trying to get it smoother :)

      Delete
  8. HAPPY birthday to you,
    happy BIRTHDAY to you,
    happy birthday DEAR Zainab!
    happy birthday to Y O U ! ! !

    Hope your birthday was every bit as lovely as your beautiful cake!! ... It looks wonderful! What a "sweet" way to celebrate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday sweet friend!! I think making your own birthday cake is genius....but, you can make mine too okay?! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex thank you very much!! I'd love to make your cake ;)

      Delete
  10. happy birthday!! i hope you had a great day :D and i don't see why you couldn't bake your own cake either, especially when the result looks this good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake looks beautiful, I love the shade of the icing. The flavours sound lovely. Visiting from Tuesday's Talent Show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed your post. I just found you over at The Scoop and would love for you to come share at my From the Farm Blog Hop! It's a fun party that's just getting started for this week.
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/08/from-farm-blog-hop.html

    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily
    www.fresh-eggs-daily.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh! Loving all these refreshing summer flavors! Slice me up a piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! I feel the exact same way about birthday parties -- I find it awkward to be the center of attention! I was 6 at my last birthday party and I think I cried the whole time haha. Nonetheless, I always bake myself a cake for my birthday, cakes are so much fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhahah, I think my last real party party was when I was 10 and it was not fun.

      Delete
  15. Happy Birthday to you!!
    It's a stunning cake

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Happy Happy Birthday!!! (I'd sing but there are laws against that - something about glass breaking and cats howling) Hope your day was amazing and that cake - LOVE IT! Such a chic combo of flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahha I'd love to hear it either way :) Thanks Aly!

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday! This cake is gorgeous. It belongs on a cover of a cake magazine!
    Tina at www.tinaschic.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks absolutely delish!! Hope you had a wonderful birthday! Visiting from the blog hop! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, man. This sounds divine! And beautifully done by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. happy birthday! what a pretty cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am super speechless. All I can think of when looking at that cake is - I want, I want, I want.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday! I love your cake its so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your blog, I am your newest like on fb, can you check out my page and like me back? Thanks! https://www.facebook.com/bakersRus123

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you had a great birthday, you sure had a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good for you! And happy birthday! This cake is so pretty. :) Found you through #SITSSHAREFEST and pinned you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday!!!! I always bake my own cakes, and I hate birthday celebrations as well! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend! Pinning to our party board. Enjoy a happy weekend and please join us next Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday! This cake is so lovely - almost too pretty to eat! Saw you at Super Saturday Show & Tell!

    Would love for you to come over and link up to Super Sunday at Who Needs a Cape! :) http://whoneedsacape.com/2013/08/super-sunday-link-party-10/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous cake! Looks like you had a tasty birthday :) Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #25!

    ~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
    http://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday!! This is a gorgeous and delicious looking cake!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...