These cookies actually started my obsession with brown butter that manifested into brown butter week. I was testing a few recipes for salted caramel cookies for June Bakin Friends when I came across these. The first batch were too chewy for my taste so I didn't end up sending them to my baking friend. But I kept working on the recipe and I changed a few things and then browned the butter and the second batch gave me these wonderful cookies.
I made them twice to be sure and mailed them to my biggest critique and taste tester in Virginia. She is brutally honest and isn't afraid to hurt my feelings as my husband can sometimes be. She loved them so much that she called me three times in one day, each time with specifics about what she liked.
I like soft cookies and that's exactly what these are. They are very soft and gooey on the inside and so crisp on the exterior. You will love them too! There is nothing not to like here. Seriously! Brown butter and salted caramel were made for each other because the flavors complement each other perfectly. I know you shouldn't pick favorites, but these are my favorite cookies yet!
This is a great recipe and a perfect way to end brown butter week!! We've had peanut butter brownies, some fluffy peach cupcakes and now these soft salted caramel cookies all loaded with wonderful brown butter. Thanks for putting up with me this week as I went on and on about my new found secret ingredient. You are the best! And I hope you will give some of these recipes a try, especially these cookies!
Have a great weekend :)
Brown Butter Salted
Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: About 20 cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, browned and cooled to room
temperature
1¼ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg and 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup homemade salted caramel sauce (I used this recipe)
Sea salt for sprinkling
Directions:
To brown butter: Cut butter into pieces and melt in a
saucepan over medium heat. Start to whisk constantly once the butter begins to
foam. When the butter starts turning brown, fragrant and you see brown bits at
the bottom of the pan, remove from heat. Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to
cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two cookie sheets lined
with wax or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and
salt.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cooled butter and
sugars on medium speed until well combined, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg
yolk and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in half of the flour mixture and
mix on low speed until just combined. Add the rest of the flour and mix well.
Stir in the chocolate chips by hand and stir until combined.
Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop one tablespoon
of dough, press the center with your thumb and fill with about 1 teaspoon of
caramel sauce. Place another scoop of dough on top and press together to seal
the caramel sauce inside. Place on cookie sheets.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges start to turn
golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for about two minutes and sprinkle cookies
with sea salt. Transfer to cooling rack.
Adapted from Bakingdom



Brown butter and salted caramel?! Ummm only like two of my most favorite things EVER!! They were totally meant to be BFFs in a chewy, soft cookie. MUST have these!!
ReplyDeleteYes they are BFFs!!
DeleteYesss brown butter and salted caramel belong together! Totally should've done that for my bars.
ReplyDeleteNow you get to make them again!!
DeleteThese cookies look INSANE!!! Insanely amazing, of course! I'll take a dozen!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
DeleteThis is ingenious! You rock Zainab :)
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Deleteokay..you inspired me! I just made something similar, but I should have browned the butter! It would have taken the recipe up a notch! Can't wait to try this recipe. oh! and if you ever need a recipe tester.... :)
ReplyDeleteforgot to mention, great photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks dear!
DeleteThese look amazingly yummy!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, these look so delicious! Salted caramel is my favorite. Stopping by from SITS Sharefest!
ReplyDeleteHi Katie, thanks for stopping by!
DeleteWhaaaaaaaat????? These look AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe. Me thinks a batch of cookies is in my future.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from SITS.
Thanks Jen!
DeleteOh no, I wish I had never seen these....now I have to make some ASAP! They look amazing
ReplyDeleteVisiting from SITS
Haha I hope you try them soon!
DeleteThese cookies look amazing! Love the salted caramel thing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Marcie.
DeleteThese look so good, Zainab! And your photos are amazing! Pinned!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie!
DeleteOh...yummy!!! I've never had caramel sauce in cookies. This sounds like a sweet treat for sure. I make chocolate chip cookies sometimes. I definitely will think about adding in the sauce next time.
ReplyDeleteSharon
http://makeitorfixit.com
Sharon it totally adds another level to any chocolate chip cookie recipe! Hope you can try it :)
DeleteThese looks so yummy. Feel like grabbing one right now!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing.
Ellya
Thanks!
Deletethese look delicious!! I would love if you'd bring them to my Sunday Funday Party and share!
ReplyDelete*Susan @ Adventures in my Kitchen
http://soozind.blogspot.com
These look so thick & delicious! Drooling! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #21!
ReplyDelete~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
http://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com
These cookies look amazing, dear! :) Thank you so much for sharing them at Marvelous Mondays this week!
ReplyDeleteWow! my mouth is watering. I have pinned this for later reference :D
ReplyDeleteFound you via Marvelous Mondays :D
Have a great evening!
Keia @ http://improvingmewithkeialee.blogspot.com
Keia thanks for stopping by!
DeleteThese look amazing.. but honestly you had me at "salted" anything. I plan on trying these soon! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks Pam!
Deleteahhhhh browned butter is such heaven! These cookies are GORGEOUS, I love all the flavors!
ReplyDeleteHey Zainab! I will be featuring this at the party tonight! Hope to see you there. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie! I'll be there!
DeleteHey Zainab! I will be featuring this at the party tonight! Hope to see you there. :)
ReplyDeleteDear Zainab, These cookies look wonderful! I know this is something my daughter would enjoy! Blessings, Catherine
ReplyDeleteBrown butter week! Love it! Pinning these "soft & gooey" babies NOW!
ReplyDelete