Dark chocolate strawberry cake. That is summer-y right? I promised you I will eventually get into summer after starting off the season with macarons.
Strawberries are my favorite berries... right in front of raspberries :)
So when they are in season, I always have at least a pound of fresh strawberries around to add to anything from salads to frosting.
This cake starts with a very moist "one-bowl" chocolate cake that's then topped with my favorite vanilla swiss meringue buttercream with fresh strawberry puree. You can find the cake recipe here on Sweetapolita. I used two 8-inch round pans instead of three 6-inch pans that she suggests. Other than that, I followed her recipe closely. I used semi-sweet chocolate for the glaze and just drizzled it randomly on top of the cake. I wanted the chocolate cake to be the star so I went easy on the glaze ( by all means, go crazy!).
I hope you will try it. It would make for a great birthday cake as well. It may not be as summer-y as the next cupcakes I just made to share with you next week, but I think having fresh strawberries in the frosting definitely puts this chocolate cake in the season.
What are some of your favorite summer desserts??



This cake is GORRRRGEOUS
ReplyDeleteThank you Kayle!
DeleteFour layers? You are daring! Love how you topped this.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteWhat an absolutely beautiful cake! I love the pairing of chocolate and strawberries and this is such an elegant dessert!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kelly for stopping by and for the kind words :)
DeleteThis looks delicious and is really pretty!
ReplyDeleteThis cake is absolutely gorgeous! It almost looks too good to eat...almost. ;) I'd eat this cake any time of the year. :)
ReplyDeleteHahhaha almost indeed! Thanks Tina!
DeleteWow this is amazing!!! Your layers look perfect! Cant even imagine how yummy this would taste.
ReplyDeleteIt was great!!
DeleteYou need to be my neighbor so I can just pop over for a slice of cake!
ReplyDeleteI will trade a slice of cake for some time with your baby!! Deal??
DeleteThis looks fabulous and I have a couple chocolate lovers at my house.
ReplyDeleteI saw that Ginger! Thanks for the feature, made my day!!
ReplyDelete