Sunday, December 23

Holiday Baking

The holiday season is upon us...Merry Christmas! This is our first married Christmas together and I love our Christmas tree.


Being an avid fan of Pinterest, I had a lot of ideas for what my holiday baking list should entail but I kept it simple. I started with some simple sugar cookies from Better Homes and Gardens and these gingerbread cookies. I followed the recipes as close as possible and the cookies turned out great.



I attempted to decorate the cookies as well and I spent a lot of time watching videos and reading blogs on how-to decorate cookies. I went simple again, using a standard royal icing recipe (below) and made two different consistencies (piping and flooding) for each color and took a shot at it.




Can I say not bad for the first time???  I was very proud of them being my first take on decorating cookies. I will definitely need to practice more in the future. 

Finally, I made these peppermint bark brownies and some peanut butter chocolate balls for my husband. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures before I packaged them up.

I sent holiday treat bags to my new in-laws, friends and family. I was very happy they all enjoyed the sweets!

Now I have to decide what to make tomorrow for Christmas dinner at my sister-in-law's.

Happy Holidays again!








Royal Icing recipe
 (Adapted from Sweetopia)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup water
5 tbsp meringue powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
2.25lbs powdered icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

 Directions:
Whisk together the water, meringue powder and cream of tartar in the mixer bowl for about 1 minute. Add all the sugar and using the paddle attachment, beat on lowest speed for 10 minutes.
Thin the icing with water, a teaspoon at a time until your desired consistency. Color and enjoy!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...